Place de la Concorde is located at the foot of Avenue des Champs-Élysées. It is distinguished today by the Luxor Obelisk (3,300 years old with J-C and erected in May 1998), by the prestigious hotels that line it and by the two monumental fountains (Fountain of the Seas and Fountain of the Rivers). Founded in 1772, Place de la Concorde was first known for being one of the places of execution during the French Revolution. Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette (among others) were guillotined there. It was between 1836 and 1846 that the architect Jacques-Ignace Hittorf shaped the square to become the one we know today.